Must We Support Israel Today?
An E-Mail Question
I received the following question from a viewer / visitor. It is a common question and one that more and more people need to know how to answer.
Hi Don, what do you think of this scripture being used for support of Israel.
2 Chronicles 19:2
And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the LORD? therefore is wrath upon thee from before the LORD>>>
Robert, thanks for posting to me. There are several things that I feel are wrong with applying that text to the present day.
1. It is anachronistic. It was spoken at a time far, far removed from us today. Now, is there a general principle that suggests it is wrong to support the wicked? I do not deny that. However, there are other issues at stake.
2. There is simply no way to classify Israel of today as godly. As even Arnold Fruchtenbaum, a zealous dispensationalist has written, modern Israel is comprised of a majority who are either atheists, agnostics or unbelievers.
3. There is actually no way to claim that the Israel of today is the Israel of Abrahamic descent, and, by their own admission, they are not Israel of Torah, but, Israel of the Talmud. This is a critical distinction that few are even aware of, but, it is a major issue.
4. Those who would appeal to this text clearly believe that Israel remains God’s chosen people. This simply false, as I demonstrate in my book Israel 1948, Countdown to No Where. God completed and fulfilled His promises to ethnic Israel in the first century. There are no more distinctive promises to ethnic Israel today (see #3 again).
5. God said, in Genesis 28:15f that when He had fulfilled all of His promises to the seed of Abraham, that they would no longer have a distinctive, exclusive role. He kept His word.
6. Paul makes it abundantly clear that now, the true seed of Abraham are those of faith, not of blood (Galatians 3:6ff).
For these and many other reasons, I think it is misguided to appeal to Chronicles, — or any other OT text for that matter—to claim that we today must support Israel.
Thanks again for posting to me!
Make your plans to be with us this July 19-21, 2012, for our Preterist Pilgrim Weekend!
Instead of a conference, there will be a formal public debate between Don K. Preston and Joel McDurmon of American Vision (Gary DeMar’s organization) This promises to be a landmark debate, so make your plans to be with us!
Don K. Preston