Dobbs 12th Response
Preston, in this exchange, misrepresents both my position and Bible teaching.
You can be sure that my respondent has scoured the Old Testament in search of a prophecy of Jesus’ ultimate coming. He comes up with Isaiah 25:8 and Hosea 13. Neither passage mentions (1) Jesus, Christ (Messiah), or (2) the second coming. That was the best Preston could do. His inability to cite an Old Testament reference prophesying the second coming is evidence it is not there.
The balance of Preston’s 12th affirmative is an attempt to belittle me and confuse the issue — and is irrelevant to this discussion. It is unworthy of notice.
What does Preston teach?
Preston teaches that Jesus made an ultimate return to earth in A. D. 70 when a Roman army sacked Jerusalem. If true, then the following things happened almost 2,000 years ago:
* Every prophecy of the Bible, whether in the Old Testament or in the New Testament, was fulfilled, and every promise of God to man was kept. Like the Colossus of Shelly’s Ozymandias, “nothing beside remains.”
* Jesus returned to earth the ultimate time — in the same fashion as his disciples saw him going away into heaven (Acts 1:11). Every eye saw him, including those who pierced him, and all of the tribes of the earth mourned over him (Rev 1:7).
* According to Don Preston, and his compatriots, nothing – nothing – nothing remains. It is all been fulfilled.
* The judgment of Matt 25:31-46, and John 5:28-29 occurred back then (A.D. 70), when Jesus identified the saved … and notified the damned.
* In fulfillment of Rev 6:12-17, the sun, moon, and stars ceased … time ended. (You cannot have time without celestial bodies.)
* The devil and his angels were cast into the lake that burns with fire and brimstone (Rev 20:10).
* The saved are in the glory-land … right now! This present world is the new heaven and the new earth, according to Don Preston.
* Sickness, sorrow, disappointment, pain, tears, and death ceased 2,000 years ago (Rev 21:1-4).
* Preston teaches the general resurrection of all the dead (John 5:28-29) is past and overthrows the faith of some gullible souls (“men who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already, and overthrow the faith of some” — 2 Tim 2:18).
Results of Preston’s teaching
If the ultimate return of Jesus happened in A. D. 70 and the final resurrection occurred at that time, the following would be true:
* Like the angels, we are not to marry – Matt 22:29-30. (Preston is married.)
* We should not eat the Lord’s Supper, seeing disciples are to eat it until Jesus’ final return – 1 Cor 11:26.
* There is a separation of the saved and the lost — Matt 25:31-46; 13:49-50
* Baptism cannot wash away sins and is useless, seeing the final judgment has occurred.
* Anyone claiming Jesus made an ultimate return at the destruction of Jerusalem is a false teacher and we are to “believe it not” – Matt 24:26.
* The heavens have passed away, the earth has been dissolved in fervent heat, and its works are no more – 2 Pet 3:10-11.
* The general resurrection of all the dead has already occurred — John 5:28-29
* Sun, moon, stars (and therefore time) no longer exist – Rev 6:12-17.
* For the saved, there is no sorrow, no tears, no disappointment, and no death (Rev 21:4).
I appeal to brother Preston to repent, if his foolish theory has not twisted and impaired his ability to think clearly (if it has, he is incapable of repenting).
“Watch therefore: for ye know not on what day your Lord cometh. But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what watch the thief was coming, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken through. Therefore be ye also ready; for in an hour that ye think not the Son of man cometh” (Matt 24:42-44).
“Behold, he cometh with the clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they that pierced him; and all the tribes of the earth shall mourn over him. Even so, Amen.”
“Marvel not at this: for the hour cometh, in which all that are in the tombs shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment.”
Warning: include(/index.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/biblepro/public_html/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41
Warning: include(): Failed opening '/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php73/pear') in /home/biblepro/public_html/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41