DOBBS SEVENTH RESPONSE
The burden of proof is on Don Preston; it is the obligation of the negative to examine the affirmative’s position.
Preston demands that I prove a negative. It is illogical to ask someone to prove something is not. Preston sounds like a junior-high-school-debater.
Is Similarity Identity?
Our brother says if things are similar, they are identical – and is perturbed when I insist that similarity is not identity.
He thinks if he can find similarities between Jerusalem and Babylon, he will thereby prove that Babylon is Jerusalem – and Jerusalem is Babylon … unless Jerusalem is Thessalonica, and Thessalonica is Babylon, or, maybe, Jerusalem is both Babylon and Thessalonica.
Early Arceneaux, in a debate with a Mormon, said, “I will force my opponent to admit similarity is not identity. “
“ A Jackass has two eyes, two ears, one nose, and one mouth.
My opponent has two eyes, two ears, one nose, and one mouth.
Therefore my opponent is a jackass.”
That should help even an adolescent to understand that similarity is not identity.
In a Nutshell
Don Preston advocates a speculation he calls “Realized Eschatology.”
Eschatology comes from two Greek words, eschatos (last) and logos (study). Eschatos means the end of the end – the last the final day of all days. Eschatos means “after which there is none other.”
Preston also claims his doctrine of last things is Preterit, meaning “past tense.” It has already happened. Advocates of “realized eschatology” are saying that everything promised or prophesied in the Bible came to fruition in A.D. 70. At that point in history, according to Don Preston, the ultimate end of all things happened. We know he is wrong because the earth continues to rotate and revolve.
When Christ comes from heaven in a literal, visible coming, it will be the second time for him to do so, and the following things will happen:
– Resurrection of all the dead (John 5:29; Rev 20:12-13)
– Death and Hades will end (Rev 20:14)
– Those not written in the book of life will be cast into the lake of fire (Rev 20:15)
– The heaven of the earth will pass away with a great noise (2 Peter 3:10)
– The elements shall be dissolved with fervent heat, and the earth and the works that are therein burned up (2 Peter 3:10)
– The devil will be cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are the beast and the false prophet; and they shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever (Rev 20:10)
– The new heaven and new earth will appear (Rev 21:1)
– The sea will be no more (Rev 21:1)
– There will be no more tears, and death; neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain, any more (Rev 21:4)
– The fearful, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, will be in the lake that burneth with fire and brimstone; which is the second death (Rev 21:8)
– All nations will be gathered before Christ; and be separated one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats (Matt 25:32)
If this has not happened, Jesus has not appeared in a final, literal, visible second coming from heaven and Don Preston’s teaching is a flat-out lie.
If anyone claims Jesus returned to earth when the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed by the Romans, Jesus said he is a false teacher … “believe him not” (Matt 24:24-26).
Preston weaves a tangled web. If he is right, we are living in the resurrection and should not eat the Lord’s Supper, seeing it is to be eaten “till” Jesus comes (1 Cor 11:26); we should, like the angels, not marry (Matt 22:30). Some of Preston’s fellow preterits say we must not observe water baptism today, since the resurrection and the final judgment have already taken place.
If “Realized Eschatology” is right, the final resurrection and judgment have already occurred. We are in the new heaven and new earth (with Sudam Hussien, and Osama Ben Laden). All who have lived since A.D. 70 were pre-judged and their eternal destiny pre-determined. One cannot change his everlasting fate … it is sealed. Preston is advocating extreme predestination.
If Preston really believes what he says he believes, why does he spend his time, money and energy trying to change the unchangeable? If Jesus separated the sheep from the goats almost 2,000 years ago, modern jacklegs should not mix them up again.