DOBBS’ SIXTH RESPONSE
Proving “realized eschatology” is false, answers the affirmative.
It is not necessary to follow every jot and tittle of his circuitous “reasoning.”
Preston surely knows that similar things are not necessarily identical.
1. At his final advent, Jesus will destroy the universe (2 Pet 3:8-10)
2. It is inarguable that the universe continues
Conclusion: Jesus has not come the final time
(This is proof Matthew 24:29-35 is not talking about the ultimate coming of Jesus – nothing more is needed.)
An Analytical Review of Matthew 24
1. Two questions are asked: (a) when will the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem be destroyed? And (b) What shall be the sign of Jesus’ final coming and the end of the world? (Matt 24:3)
2. The first question is answered in two parts: (a) Natural and man made disorders continue and signify nothing (Matt 24:4-13), and (b) a foreign military force would compass Jerusalem, portending the Temple’s destruction (Matt 24:15 & Luke 21:20).
3. At the coming of an invading army, people were to get out of Jerusalem (Matt 24:16-22). (If this passage signifies annihilation of the universe, why flee?)
4. “The sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven …” (Matt 24:29).
5. ”[T]he tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory” (Matt 24:30).
6. The first-century generation would not pass away until “all these things be accomplished” (Matt 24:34). All “these things” happened in the 1st century.
7. Concerning the ultimate return of Jesus to destroy the universe, Jesus said “But of that day and hour knoweth no one, … but the Father only” (Matt 24:36).
We know empirically the earth and its works are not dissolved (2 Pet 3:10).
Therefore the items mentioned in Matt 24:3-34 do not include the destruction of the universe … that would come later.
Anyone who says Jesus made a literal return to earth in AD 70 is a false teacher (Matt 24:24-26) — whether the false teaching was in the first century or is in the twenty-first century … it is bogus.
Our brother Preston is a false teacher, and his doctrine is bogus.
Jesus told us, “believe it not” (v. 23).
What is the meaning of “the sun shall be darkened … and the “stars falling from heaven,” and “the powers of the heavens shaken” (Matt 24:29).
This sounds like the end of the world.
The universe has not ended.
The inescapable conclusion is that Matt 24:29-33 is figurative.
" thing is literal unless its context demands a symbolic understanding.
OT prophets used this type language to describe the end of a political economy, or system.
Consider Isa 13:9-10: “Behold, the day of Jehovah cometh, cruel, with wrath and fierce anger … For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light; the sun shall be darkened in its going forth, and the moon shall not cause its light to shine.”
Sounds like Matthew 24:29-30.
Sounds like the end of the world.
But Isaiah is talking about the fall of Babylon (see Isa 13:1).
See also Isa 24:23; Isa 34:4; Jer 4:23; Ezek 32:7; Joel 2:11; 2:30-32; "mos 5:20; 8:9. The prophets sometime used symbolic language to speak of the end of a political system.
Jesus, in Matt 24:29-32, uses prophetic imagery to foretell the end of the Mosaic system – not the end of the universe.
My respondent is making the same false arguments the Jehovah’s Witnesses cult has made for more than 100 years.
2 Peter 3:3-4 says, “Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, "nd saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.”
Surely my opponent will not say “the earth will never be destroyed,” as do the Jehovah’s Witnesses?
Jesus said, “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away” (Matt 24:35).
Brother Preston, you must die physically. What then? If you are now in the new heaven and the resurrection is past, you will have no eternal future. Do you go along with the Jehovah’s Witnesses on this point and say that physical death is annihilation, or eternal cessation? If yes, where is your hope?
Warning: include(/index.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/biblepro/public_html/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41
Warning: include(): Failed opening '/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php73/pear') in /home/biblepro/public_html/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41